Monday, June 8, 2009

Soo…I used to be a waitress.

My first legitimate, tax paying job was at 15, as a waitress at the restaurant Western Sizzlin’. Waiting tables with my sister and two other friends, we were the youngest servers in the building by probably 40 years…my career was short-lived, however, as I quickly realized that no amount of slip-proof sneakers would stop me from tripping, bumping into things, and spilling large, cold pitchers of liquids onto customers. I am an incurable klutz. 

A decade and another continent later, I regret to report that things have not improved. I think that I maybe should have warned the family that I am living with that it would have been a good idea to childproof their home in preparation of my arrival.

A story: Saturday I was helping the wonderful woman that I live with, Sophie, clean the house. In the process of dusting, I just so happened to knock over a nice blue vase, cracking a portion of the corner. The damage was not the worst breakage I’ve ever induced, and so in between apologies I promised to glue it back together. While I was transporting the broken pieces to my room for “safe keeping”, I bumped into the wall, causing me to drop the small fragments once again onto the ground, this time shattering them. My bad. I can’t tell you how many times I apologized, but Sophie’s response was this:

“It’s alright, Mary. People are perishing. These are just ornaments. They don’t matter.” I would like to adopt this attitude about more things in my life…

(As a side note, we went that same night to hear some local musicians play, at which point I proceeded to knock over a full glass of wine, smashing the glass to bits…sorry, Windhoek Warehouse.)

6 comments:

  1. And don't forget about the time you spilled black paint on a stage in front of 1500 kids. Or the time you knocked over a drink on the pristine white carpet in the Passion office. This is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you're so consistent!!

    Wondeful hearing from you again!

    Love and prayers,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. True grace is in the heart, not the feet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, or how about that time behind the bus in Bolivia...? i can play, too... :)
    true grace is in the heart, not the feet...i like it, it shall be my new life motto. :)

    love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That kind of grace just gave me chills.... it is so true.. it is just STUFF.... plus as an extremely big klutz I love hearing stories of grace in this particular situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,
    I love reading your adventures! Sophie sounds amazing ... just like you. I'm glad the two of you were matched! :)

    ReplyDelete